Skip navigation links
Press Releases
News from Turkey
Publications
Upcoming Tenders
Links
Videos
Newsletter Subscription
This page is print preview page.
Click here to return to the page.
Print page
News
 
New R&D reform package to boost innovation 
22.02.2016

The Turkish government has passed an extensive support package for research, development (R&D) and innovation-related activities in an effort to become an innovation-driven, high-tech economy, effective March 1.


The R&D Reform Package was first unveiled by Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu on January 14 with the aim to increase the competitiveness of vital industries, strengthen university-industry cooperation and increase R&D spending.


Among the key elements of the package are:


- The establishment of design centers that will benefit from the same level of incentives as R&D centers. Design-related activities conducted in technology development zones (TDZs) are also to be supported,


- Tax deductions for companies engaged in R&D and design, including SMEs that contract such services to outside parties,


- A reduced staff requirement to establish an R&D center to 15 persons from 30,


- The state will underwrite a portion – equaling the gross total of the minimum wage in Turkey – of researchers’ wages for a duration of two years, provided they are employed by an R&D center and are graduates of basic sciences,


- Tax deduction and grants for pre-competition cooperation projects in order to encourage joint projects,


- Customs duty exemptions for materials obtained from abroad within the scope of R&D, innovation and design projects,


- The establishment of specialized TDZs for priority and strategic sectors (ICT, healthcare, biotech, nanotech, defense and aerospace, etc.) in order to form focused R&D organizations,


- Researchers employed in TDZs, R&D centers and design centers will benefit from exemptions during site studies and postgraduate educational activities abroad,


- Tax deductions for companies who provide venture capital for start-ups established using the Techno-Initiative Capital Support Program in TDZs,


- Increasing the sum of techno-initiative capital support to TRY 500,000 from TRY 100,000, depending on the project while extending the application period to 10 years from the date of the founder’s graduation,


- Creating a system of standardization and authorization for software projects,

 

- Exemption from income tax cuts for faculty members who take part in university-industry cooperation projects. The income tax cut from the university’s floating capital is limited to 15 percent with the remaining 85 percent payable to the faculty member.


R&D spending in Turkey surpassed 1 percent of the country’s total GDP in 2014, with private-sector outlay accounting for almost half, at 49.8 percent.


Among Turkey’s 2023 targets, a set of goals in a variety of fields to be reached by the centennial of the Republic, is increasing the R&D expenditure to account for 3 percent of the country’s GDP.

16.07.2019 The Turkish Nation Rallied in Ankara and İstanbul to Commemorate the 3rd Anniversary of July 15
10.07.2019 Turkey Unveils the 11th Development Plan
05.07.2019 NGN Group Opens Data Center in Istanbul
21.06.2019 “Future of the Automotive Industry” Workshops Convene in USA
03.06.2019 Turkey Adds 1 GW to its Renewable Energy Capacity
24.05.2019 Rebalancing and Rebounding Process Continue in The Turkish Economy
10.05.2019 Reform Action Group Meets First Time Under Chairmanship of President Erdoğan
01.05.2019 YOIKK Holds its First Meeting with New Structure
18.04.2019 ATC Annual Conference Convenes in Washington D.C.
12.04.2019 Turkey Inaugurates New Structural Reforms
<<
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
>>